High Country Special Pale Ale Recipe Kit
This recipe is an Aussie Brewmakers original. It is a ‘take’ on an Australian Pale Ale with some fruity hops overlays.
We call it our High Country Special Pale Ale as the first batch was tasted high up amongst the snow gums on Mt Stirling overlooking the Mansfield district below.
We think it is a top brew – and the recipe is another great introduction to experimenting with hops and wet malts for the beginner or ‘tin kit’ brewer.
Supplied Kit Ingredients:
• 1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale Beer Kit
• 1.5kg Coopers Light Malt Extract
• 200g Dextrose
• 15g Brew Cellar Premium Ale Yeast
• 12g Cascade Finishing Hops (steeped)
• 15g Amarillo Finishing Hops (dry hopped)
• 200g of Dextrose if kegging with no secondary fermentation (not supplied)
1. Clean / sterilize all equipment including wort, paddle, mug and jug (used for steeping)
2. Discard Coopers Australian Pale Ale tin yeast and sit tin along with the Coopers Light Malt Extract tin in hot water for 10 minutes
3. Boil 2ltrs of water in kettle
4. Steep 12g of Galaxy Finishing Hops in 250mls of boiling water for 10 minutes
5. Add 1.75ltrs of boiled water to wort and re-boil 1ltr of water in kettle
6. Add Coopers Light Malt Extract tin along with 200g Dextrose to wort and stir to thoroughly dissolve
7. Pour 500ml of boiled water into Coopers Light Malt Extract tin and stir then add to wort
8. Add Coopers Australian Pale Ale tin to wort and stir thoroughly to dissolve
9. Pour 500mls of boiled water into Coopers Australian Pale Ale tin and stir then add to wort
10. Add water to wort to 22.5 ltrs and test temperature – make sure it is between 18-24 degrees before pitching yeast
11. Take initial hydrometer reading
12. Add Cascade Finishing Hops bag and mug of water to wort
13. Pitch 15g Brew Cellar Premium Ale Yeast and stir gently
14. On day 4 of ferment add Amarillo Finishing Hops bag to wort and gently stir in with sterilized paddle (dry hop)
15. When fermentation finished check with hydrometer and bottle as per normal.
N.B. If kegging, add 200g of Dextrose at step 6