This recipe is an Aussie Brewmakers original. It is a ‘take’ on the Tooheys Old and Carlton Black ‘Dark Ale’ commercial offerings.
Careful consideration should be given to over consumption of this full flavoured dark ale or a full ‘blackout’ will ensue.
This recipe is another great introduction to experimenting with hops and grains for the beginner or ‘tin kit’ brewer.
Supplied Kit Ingredients:
- 1.7kg Morgan’s Special Kettled Iron Bark Dark Ale
- 1.0kg Beer Improver (500g Dextrose / 500g Light Dried Malt Extract)
- 200g Dextrose
- 15g Brew Cellar Premium Ale Yeast
- 12g Cluster Finishing Hops (steeped)
- 150g Roasted Barley Grain - Cracked (steeped)
- Additional 200g of Dextrose if kegging with no secondary fermentation (not supplied)
- Clean / sterilize all equipment including wort, paddle, mug and jug (used for steeping)
- Discard Morgan’s Special Kettled Iron Bark Dark Ale tin yeast and sit tin in hot water for 10 minutes
- Boil 1.25ltrs of water in kettle
- Steep 150g of Roasted Barley Grain – Cracked in 1ltr of boiling water for 15 minutes
- Steep 12g of Cluster Finishing Hops in 250mls of boiling water for 10 minutes
- Re-boil 2.5ltrs of water in kettle
- Add 1.5ltrs of boiled water to wort and add 1.0kg of Beer Improver and 200g of Dextrose and stir to thoroughly dissolve.
- Add Morgan’s Special Kettled Iron Bark Dark Ale tin to wort and stir to thoroughly dissolve
- Pour 500ml of boiled water into Morgan’s Special Kettled Iron Bark Dark Ale tin and stir then add to wort
- Strain steeped Roasted Barley Grain – Cracked into wort and rinse with 500ml of boiling water (do not add grain to wort)
- Add water to wort to 22.5 ltrs and test temperature – make sure it is between 18-24 degrees before pitching yeast
- Take initial hydrometer reading
- Add Cluster Finishing Hops bag and mug of water to wort
- Pitch 15g Brew Cellar Premium Ale Yeast and stir gently
- When fermentation is finished check with hydrometer and bottle as per normal. Bottle conditioning of 4 weeks minimum is recommended.
N.B. If kegging, add additional 200g of Dextrose at step 7