This recipe is a malty pale ale that highlights the brilliant Mosaic Hops with tropical, citrus, herbal and pine notes.
This pale ale does not have a real bitterness sting however it will leave you itching for more.
A great summer session pale ale that is close to the popular Smash Mosaic Ale style of craft beer.
Careful though, once your mates get a taste of this exquisite brew they will be hanging around like the proverbial annoying mozzie!
This recipe is another great introduction to experimenting with hops, wet malts and steeping grains for the beginner or intermediate brewer who wants to take their tin kit brewing to the next level.
A great summer session beer. Enjoy!
Supplied Kit Ingredients:
- 1 x 1.7kg Coopers Series Bootmaker Pale Ale
- 1 x 1.5kg Coopers Light Malt Extract
- 1 x 250g Light Dried Malt Extract (LDME)
- 1 x 150g Cracked Crystal Grain (steeped)
- 1 x 25g Mosaic Pelleted Hops (steeped)
- 1 x 25g Mosaic Pelleted Hops (dry hopped)
- 1 x 10g M44 US West Coast Ale Yeast
- 2 x Short Hop Bags (for steeped and dry hops)
- 200g of Dextrose if kegging with no secondary fermentation (not supplied)
- Clean / sterilize all equipment including fermenter, paddle, Hop Bags and jugs (used for steeping)
- Sit the 1.7kg Coopers Series Bootmaker Pale Ale tin (discard tin yeast under lid) and the 1.5kg Coopers Light Malt Extract tin in hot water for 10 minutes
- Boil 1.3L of water in kettle
- Steep 150g Cracked Crystal Grain in 1L of boiled water for 20 minutes
- Steep 25g of Mosaic Pelleted Hops in a hops bag in 300ml of boiled water for 15 minutes
- Boil 2L of water in kettle
- Add 1.5L of boiled water to fermenter
- Add the 1.7kg Coopers Series Bootmaker Pale Ale tin and the 1.5kg Coopers Light Malt Extract tin along with 250g LDME (add slowly to avoid clumping) to fermenter and stir to thoroughly dissolve
- Pour 250ml of boiled water into each of the tins and stir to dissolve remaining contents, then add to fermenter
- Strain 150g of steeped Crystal Grain into fermenter (do not add grain to fermenter) and rinse with 250mls cold water
- Add the 25g steeped Mosaic Hops (in bag) and steeped water to fermenter
- Add cold water to fermenter to 22.5 ltrs and test temperature – make sure it is between 18-23 degrees before pitching yeast
- Take initial hydrometer reading
- Pitch 10g M44 US West Coast Ale Yeast and stir gently
- On day 2 or 3 of ferment add the remaining 25g Mosaic Pelleted Hops in the 2nd hop bag to the fermenter and gently stir in with sterilized paddle (dry hop)
- When fermentation is finished check with hydrometer and bottle as per normal. Bottle conditioning of 3 weeks is recommended
N.B. If kegging, add 200g of Dextrose at step 8